Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New reeds

When old reeds has served its purpose and begin to sound squeaky (for me it'll be in 1-2 months, depending on frequency of practice), I reach for a new one. This is for me to find out if I sound bad, or perhaps its just the reeds need replacing. Playing with bad reeds is demotivating as you'll doubt your ability.

However, new reeds need to be 'broken into' first before they sound well. Because they're new, its structure is still a little 'stiff', so to warm them up I do a few long notes then a few staccato. Probably best to leave it soaking in a spoon (I use a chinese soup spoon) a little longer than usual.

Currently am using a basic Rico #2. Will upgrade to a better range/brand a little further on. So far #2 hardness still works ok for me.
I do have a Rico Plasticover #2 to alternately play it once a while. Although, they're more suited for outdoor/band use because of their 'louder' nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment