Saturday, February 26, 2011

Servicing your instrument

My low 'B' and 'Bb' notes always sounded incorrect, even after a year playing. They are hard to hit, and vibrate inconsistently. Sometimes sounding right, sometimes irritatingly lousy. I thought it was my embouchure or technique. Then my new tutor mentioned it could probably be an effect of a leak in the seals.

You see, the tone holes close when you key on certain 'buttons'. But sometimes the holes aren't closed entirely, and little air leaks out causing an uneven note. When this happens, its best to send your unit in for servicing.

I've just brought mine to the Yamaha Kelana Jaya branch to a place called EP WINDS STUDIO, which is run independently from Yamaha. Two technicians are there, Tan and Chong, to service and repair most woodwind instruments. It should set me back about RM250 for an overall servicing and be ready in 1 weeks time. Will return with more info by next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment