Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tuition Fees

When I first started lessons at Yamaha (Subang Parade), little did I expect the fun and relaxation I get out of playing (or at least practicing) my saxophone. Month after month of playing, its already been 1 year on and am still enjoying much of it.

Of course in the beginning I had with me zero knowledge of anything. My tutor started me off with a beginners book, which I'll call Book 1. Thereafter, Book 2. And then (which is now) we're working on various pieces; from latin to jazz to pop to classical; none of which follow any book sequence.

Therein, lies the difference in fees. (money money money)

During Book 1 lessons, my fees were RM145.00.
Proceeding into Book 2, fees went up to RM165.00.
Completing Book 2, we're now in 'wide ocean', fees are RM178.00
(no more increase after this).

To achieve higher opportunity cost, I need to learn more in a shorter period of time, then play freelance and recoup my investments. Music is a fun hobby, albeit pricey if you're not working. Something to think about...

2 comments:

  1. Hey dude! How long is the duration for each book you took? Do you pay rm145 monthly or for the whole course?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi bro. Very sorry for not replying. Didn't know to check on comments.

    Duration for book 1 was 3 months, book 2 about 5 months, thereafter was materials from tutor. It does, however, depend on your initiative to practice.

    RM145 is fees for 1 month. Outside freelance tutors can charge RM100/lesson.

    ReplyDelete