Saturday, September 18, 2010

Meyer mouthpiece (part II)

Finally received the Meyer 5M mouthpiece (medium facing), ordered online from USA and hand carried back to KL by my best friend. Its made of ebonite (a hard rubber material) and (as I understand it) is hand finished in USA. Comes in a very simple white box, encasing within it a mouthpiece, ligature and cover.

After giving a quick rinse and drying, tried to fix on the reed with the provided ligature. Then proceeded with greasing the cork on the neck, and pushed the mouthpiece into the cork. STUCK! Couldn't go in on the first try, had to add more grease and gently twist it in. Didn't have this issue with my existing Yamaha 4C mouthpiece, which fitted easily without any hassle.

Alrights, and on to the first blow. QUACK! Literally my first try sounded like a duck. My guess is my embouchure and tongue needs some time to adjust... A few more blows and I'm back to normal. On this first day of practicing a new mouthpiece, I would say there isn't any major difference to the Yamaha 4C plastic unit. Probably the Meyer is a little easier to obtain the notes, and mellower in tone. Will test it a few more times to get a better understanding.



2 comments:

  1. from your review i guess you should have gotten the 6M bro.
    i have a 6M now dukoff D8 now, and trust me i used to play a yamaha 5C, the 6M takes a little bit more effort than the 5C to play with a really mellow yet dark tone, but the dukoff is impossible lol. guess it really boils down to hours and hours of practice to get the D8 right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't tried a dukoff so can't comment on this.

    The reason I took the 5M was that I'm not that confident yet to control the openness of 6M or 6C level.

    So far 5M has been quite sufficient, with Vandoren reed #2. Overall quite 'soft'.

    ReplyDelete