Friday, February 10, 2012

RE-START

Its been a good half year since I've made any inroads into my practice and motivation. Then out of the blue while walking around Empire Mall (Subang Jaya), I found a small music school called Beethoven Music offering saxophone classes. I live nearby so having a location that's easy to get to IS A BIG DEAL for me. Imagine rushing to class, in a bad jam, tired from work, and you forgot to bring something. Oh well...

Back to the music school. Its run by a sweet Korean lady (an expert in clarinet), so I'm quite confident of an efficiently run, clean environment and has a well thought out teaching process. The classes are once a week, 45 minutes each (15 minutes theory + 30 minutes class) at RM70/class. Damage is RM280/month. There were 2 saxophone tutors at the time I signed up.

They allow a trial class to potential students to judge the tutors, environment, etc. It is chargeable, by the way.

In my 1st class, my tutor recommended a Grade 1 theory book, meant for "Young Musicians". Its back to basics for me, for the theory work. I found this to be relatively fun. Reading notes, timing, rests, homework and so forth. Then we did some breathing exercises, techniques, tips and tricks. Very refreshing indeed.

6 comments:

  1. Oh its high time for me to start my sax classes! I've not get any yet! Yamaha's like rm180 and im complaining, whoa I can't imagine rm280!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the money you'll spend, make sure you're putting in double the effort and not waste too much time repeating your classes. So having a good practice regime is rather important, and rather difficult to accomplish.

    Tempus, you pay for what you get. My previous tutor was top notch at RM100/class, but the distance was rather hectic on me. Subang to BU.

    Take classes where you're comfortable with, near your house/school/work place/girlfriend house or wherever you feel alive in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you back in action! I was taking lessons in Penang for RM100 a month only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi there, do you know is there any place provides soprano saxophone lessons in KL area?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys, I just got my alto sax (bulcario turrino) from mudah.com not sure if is a good one. And I'm signing up classes at Sri petaling Rm150/month with 4 classes each time 45min.

    A question.. Is there Anyway can a 0 knowledge on music beginner to learn up sax fast? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Kenny Leong, can you provide the music center that you learn alto sax? i am looking for Saprano Sax, but before i buying it, i wish can test and get some basic information.thank you.

    ReplyDelete